All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLondon for Foodies, Gourmets & Gluttons is much more than just a directory of cafes, markets, restaurants and shops; it features many of the city's best artisan producers and traders, plus a wealth of classes where you can learn how to prepare and cook food like the experts, appreciate fine wines and brew coffee like a barista. And when you're too tired to cook or just want to treat yourself, we'll show you great places where you can enjoy everything from tea and cake to a tasty street snack; a pie and a pint to a glass of wine and tapas; a quick working lunch to a full-blown gastromic extravaganza. Researching London for Foodies, Gourmets & Gluttons has been a voyage of discovery, a culinary adventure and a sheer pleasure. In seeking out the city's best artisan producers and purveyors we have left stone unturned. Our epicurean journey has taken us to trendy cafes, cosy tearooms and amazing street food vendors; stunning food halls and bustling markets; invative restaurants and atmospheric gastropubs; the very best wine, beer and spirit merchants; and fascinating classes that teach every foodie skill from butchering a pig to tempering chocolate and enjoying fine wine. Like most Londoners, we knew that the quality and variety of food and drink on offer in the capital had improved beyond all recognition in recent decades, but we were still amazed at just how much the city's gastromic landscape had changed. The days are long gone since London's culinary scene - and British food in general - was the subject of international contempt and ridicule. The city has seen a foodie revolution in the last 20 years and w offers a choice and quality of food that's the equal of any city in the world, including ingredients from almost every country on the planet, from asafoetida to za'atar. In London, the world really is your oyster - it's also your bagel, bammy, chaat, dim sum, enchilada, falafel, injera, kimchi, lahmacun, pierogi, raclette, ravioli, satay or tapa! All have been introduced by immigrants and eagerly devoured by a grateful population eager for gastromic adventure. Just as much as its inventive chefs and Michelin-starred restaurants, it's London's incredible ethnic diversity that makes it such an exciting place to eat (and cook and shop). So whether you want to revitalise your jaded palate, increase your culinary repertoire, expand your foodie kwledge or experience the ultimate in fine dining - or maybe you're just hungry - you're bound to find inspiration in London for Foodies, Gourmets & Gluttons.
- Author BiographyDavid Hampshire's career has taken him around the world and he lived and worked in many countries before taking up writing full-time in the '80s. He's the author, co-author or editor of some 25 titles, including Living and Working in London, London's Secret Places, London's Secrets: Museums & Galleries, London's Secrets: Parks & Gardens, London's Secrets: Peaceful Places and A Year in London. David was born in Surrey but lived and worked in London for many years and still considers himself a Londoner. He now divides his time between London and Bath Graeme Chesters is an experienced journalist, copywriter, non-fiction and travel writer. He knows London well, having lived in the northwest, centre and southeast of the city, and is the author of a number of books on the city, including London's Hidden Secrets, London's Secret Walks, London's Secret's: Bizarre & Curious and London's Secret's: Pubs & Bars. Graeme lives in Bexley in southeast London with his wife Louise.
- Author(s)David Hampshire,Graeme Chesters
- PublisherSurvival Books
- Date of Publication26/02/2015
- SubjectWhere to Stay / Where to Eat & Drink
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSurvival Books
- Content Noteover 500 colour photos
- Weight600 g
- Width165 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Travel Guides
- AU $22.40New
- AU $14.93New
- AU $14.05New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $43.92
- AU $36.28Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $38.82
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $21.23
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $22.40
- AU $11.95Trending at AU $12.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.