All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBoth a thrilling expose and a considered anthropological review, 'London's Underworld' is driven by the author's conflicting feelings of admiration for the rebellious spirit which frees these criminals from the laws of reserved Victorian Society and also pity for the restless, violent attitudes which leave them stranded there alone.
- Author BiographyThomas Holmes (1846-1918) was a police-court missionary, criminologist and radical philanthropist. In 1905 he became secretary to the Howard Association for the reform of prisons and criminal law. His efforts afforded great change in the prison system, seeking to reform prisoners by providing honest work and education. A dynamic individual, his sympathy with the margins of society are reflected in his publications, such as 'Pictures and Problems from London Police Courts' (1900) and 'Psychology and Crime' (1912). Iain Sinclair is a novelist, essayist, filmmaker and journalist. Among his many successful publications are' London Orbital' (2003) and 'Dining on Stones' (2005).
- Author(s)Thomas Holmes
- PublisherAnthem Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2006
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleAnthem Travel Classics
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnthem Press
- Content Note20+ halftone photographs
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Introduction byIain Sinclair
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.