All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt the time Dr. Glen O. Gabbard's first edition of Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy came out in 2004, the Psychiatry Residency Review Committee (RRC) mandated that all psychiatric residents must become competent in five different psychotherapies, including psychodynamic psychotherapy. Just a few years later, the RRC reduced the number of mandated psychotherapies from five to three, with psychodynamic psychotherapy being one of the triad needed in training. Also during that time, much rigorous research appeared in the pages of major psychiatric and psychological journals further confirming the efficacy and value of psychodynamic psychotherapy. Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Basic Text, Second Edition, is focused on the key concepts, assessment, indications, formulations, therapist interventions, goals of therapy, and the mechanisms of therapeutic action all mental health professionals need in their daily clinical experience. In this manual, Dr. Gabbard expands on the application of basic theory and techniques in actual clinical practice. Therapeutic topics are brought to life on a companion DVD that gives students and residents a visual reference to the text through video vignettes of a senior clinician at work. As useful to educators as it is to students, Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy serves as a guide to understanding the thinking behind the therapist's actions in a wide variety of situations. This fly on the wall glimpse into therapeutic mechanisms helps future psychologists, social workers, licensed counselors, nurses and others put psychodynamic psychotherapy into the proper context for long-term, successful treatment. This manual delves into the goals of therapy and the mechanisms for therapeutic action, including: Assessment; Indications and formulation; Therapist intervention; Using fantasies and dreams in therapeutic action; Identifying and working with countertransference; Optimal use of supervision In addition to the DVD that serves as a guide to understanding the thinking behind the therapist's choices, this book also features a greatly expanded discussion of the evidence base for psychodynamic psychotherapy and a more extensive discussion on gender in transference. It also updates the neurobiological correlation between dreaming and its implications in psychotherapy and elaborates on the contribution of resistance to contemporary thinking. Equally important, Long-Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy provides its readers with a clear road map to greater understanding through practical, hands-on application such as case writeups, oral presentations at case conferences, written examinations, oral examinations, videotaped recordings and direct observations, audiotape recordings, and supervision to help build competent skills and broad kwledge.
- Author BiographyGlen O. Gabbard, M.D., occupies the Brown Foundation Chair of Psychoanalysis and is Professor of Psychiatry, Director of Psychotherapy Education, and Director of the Baylor Psychiatry Clinic at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. He served as Joint Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 2001 - 2007.
- Author(s)Glen O. Gabbard
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication11/03/2010
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Publishing
- Content Note8 line drawings, 10 tables
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Series Edited byGlen O. Gabbard
- Contained items statementContains Paperback and DVD
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.