Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $14.18+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGrowing up in the early part of the 20th century, the author shunned the stable life he could have had if he had taken over his father's drapery business. Instead he headed down to Dorset, purchased a boat and set up a business as a longshoreman, renting his boat to fishermen. During his life it is estimated that he spent 19,000 days fishing and caught 1,390,000 fish. In Benjamin Pond's memoirs he describes the harsh life before the existence of the welfare state and how beach combing assisted his poor income. He recounts his journeys of sailing around the coast of Hampshire and Dorset, of the changing conditions and weather and of his part in salvaging and rescuing other stricken craft piloted by less able people. Alongside he provides anecdotes and tales of the people and characters that he once knew. This is a warm and charming autobiography that will transport the reader back in time, experiencing the unusual and carefree life of the author and his surrounding environment.
- Author BiographyThrough friendship with the Marconi family, Benjamin Pond became interested in radio and received the last night's message of the S.S.Titanic on a receiver that he owned. He was a highly respected figure of the community so much so that he was also known as 'Lord Goathorn' - 'Goathorn' is a peninsular opposite side water from Sandbanks. In 1939 with the outbreak of WWII, his boat was confiscated as part of the war effort and he became the river keeper for the Countess of Brecknock in Wherwell. Whilst there, he was on several occasions, asked to help with the fishing at Broadlands, Lord Mountbatten's home in Romsey. There he fished with the Queen Mother and had dinner with the Queen. Benjamin Pond passed away at the age of 83.
- Author(s)Benjamin Pond
- PublisherCambridge Media Group
- Date of Publication30/01/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJanus Publishing Co
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width145 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $29.85Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.