Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.79Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionThis fascinating collection of images explores Longsight over the past two centuries. It charts the town's rural beginnings, its expansion along Stockport Road - a busy route from the city of Manchester - and the coming of the railway, which made Longsight Manchester's busiest suburban station, welcoming countless visitors for Belle Vue Zoological Gardens. An exclusive estate, Victoria Park housed wealthy Manchester merchants, while nearby workers from the city centre crowded into terrace housing. Immigrants from Asia, Ireland and the Commonwealth followed, creating a cosmopolitan feel to Stockport Road, the schools and places of worship. Illustrated with family photographs, early postcards and ephemera, and featuring sections on all aspects of everyday life, including schooldays, work, sporting and leisure activities, events and celebrations, Longsight provides a unique insight into life in the town in days gone by.
- Author(s)Frank Rhodes,Jill Cronin
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2010
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleBritain in Old Photographs
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Noteill
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.