All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe stunning interiors and glorious gardens of New Orleans's unrivaled jewel and architectural masterpiece. Longue Vue House and Gardens, accredited by the American Alliance of Museums and listed as a national historic landmark, was designed and built between 1934 and 1942 by landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman and architects Charles and William Platt for Edgar Bloom and Edith Rosenwald Stern, New Orleans's foremost mid-twentieth-century philanthropists and civil-rights activists. The mansion and its surrounding eight acres of garden spaces, with varied designs ranging from the formal to the wild, draw upon Southern architectural traditions and native Louisiana flora, even as they echo the contemporaneous garden-design movement that set the stage for the creation of some of the most breathtaking garden estates in the country. Lush photography, supporting architectural drawings, and an informative text bring the main house and gardens to life and establish the estate as an enduring symbol to its creators' contributions to building a just society.
- Author BiographyCarol McMichael Reese is the Christovich Associate Professor in the Tulane School of Architecture, where she offers courses in architectural history and theory. Her books and articles focus on contemporary architecture and urban planning in the Americas. She has also served on the board of directors of Longue Vue since 2004. Thaisa Way is a landscape historian who teaches history, theory, and design at the University of Washington in Seattle. She has published and lectured on feminist histories of landscape architecture. She is also an editor for the Landscape History Chapters of the Society of Architectural Historians.
- Author(s)Carol McMichael Reese,Thaisa Way
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkira Rizzoli
- Content Note200 colour and black and white illustrations
- Weight1837 g
- Width241 mm
- Height298 mm
- Spine28 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $72.89
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.