About this product
- DescriptionLooking at Greek Art by Mark D. Stansbury-O'Donnell offers a practical guide to the methods for approaching, analysing and contextualising an unfamiliar piece of Greek art. It demonstrates how objects are dated and assigned to an artist or region; how to interpret the subject matter and narrative; how to reconstruct the context for which an object was made, distributed and used; and how we can explore broader cultural perspectives by looking at questions of identity, gender and relationships to surrounding cultures. Each section focuses on different theoretical approaches, providing an overview of the theories, key terms and required evidence. Case studies serve to demonstrate each process and some key issues to consider when using a given approach. This book explores a variety of media, including terracotta, metalwork and jewellery, in addition to works found in major museum collections in the United States and Europe.
- Author BiographyMark D. Stansbury-O'Donnell is a professor of art history at the University of St Thomas in St Paul, Minnesota. He is the author of Pictorial Narrative in Ancient Greek Art (Cambridge University Press, 1999) and Vase Painting, Gender, and the Social Identity of Archaic Athens (Cambridge University Press, 2006). He has published in the American Journal of Archaeology and has contributed to several other books on Greek art and vase painting.
- Author(s)Mark D. Stansbury-O'Donnell
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/11/2010
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note82 b/w illus.
- Weight700 g
- Width215 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.37New
- AU $21.29New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $20.04New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.91New
- AU $11.60Used
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.80New
- AU $32.15New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.99Trending at AU $21.29
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.81
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.51
- AU $39.99Trending at AU $43.80
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $25.16
- AU $57.72Trending at AU $62.56
- AU $77.29Trending at AU $94.90
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.