Looking for Transwonderland: Travels in Nigeria by Noo Saro-Wiwa (Paperback / softback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.79Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $15.93Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by jlb225oz
- Est. delivery by 22 Dec
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNoo Saro-Wiwa was brought up in England, but every summer she was dragged back to visit her father in Nigeria -- a country she viewed as an anying parallel universe where she had to relinquish all her creature comforts and sense of individuality. After her father, activist Ken Saro-Wiwa, was killed there, she didn't return for several years. Recently, she decided to come to terms with the country her father given his life for. Saro-Wiwa travels from the exuberant chaos of Lagos to the calm beauty of the eastern mountains; from the eccentricity of a Nigerian dog show to the decrepit kitsch of the Transwonderland Amusement Park. She explores Nigerian Christianity, delves into the country's history of slavery, examines the corrupting effect of oil, and ponders the huge success of Nollywood. She finds the country as exasperating as ever, and frequently despairs at the corruption and inefficiency she encounters. But she also discovers that it si far more beautiful and varied than she had ever imagined, with its captivating thick tropical rainforest and ancient palaces and monuments. Most engagingly of all, she introduces us to the many people she meets, and gives us hilarious insights into the African character, its passion, wit and ingenuity.
- Author BiographyNoo Saro-Wiwa was born in Nigeria in 1976 and raised in England. She attended King's College London and Columbia University in New York. She currently lives in London.
- Author(s)Noo Saro-Wiwa
- Date of Publication27/09/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationBerkeley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight386 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Travel Guides
Lonely Planet Tasmania by Meg Worby, Lonely Planet, Charles Rawlings-Way, Anthony Ham (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $21.35New
- AU $14.13New
Save on Travel Guides
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $43.45
- AU $20.72Trending at AU $25.46
- AU $18.42Trending at AU $21.35
- AU $36.28Trending at AU $37.32
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $39.04
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $28.56
- AU $19.93Trending at AU $21.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.