All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSince its first appearance in Blackwood's Edinburgh Magazine in 1899 and 1900, Lord Jim (1900) has been acclaimed as a modernist masterwork. Its narrative invations and psychological complexity make it one of the most influential fictions written in the twentieth century and it has challenged and stimulated generations of readers as well as writers on and of fiction. This edition, established through modern textual scholarship, presents Conrad's vel and its preface in a form more authoritative than any so far printed. The Introduction situates the vel in Conrad's career and traces its sources and contemporary reception. The explanatory tes identify literary and historical references and real-life places and indicate Conrad's main influences. Glossaries, maps and illustrations are provided for further context, as well as a new transcription of 'Tuan Jim: A Sketch', a partial draft of the vel, and appearing in print for the first time, Conrad's contract for the book.
- Author BiographyJ. H. Stape is Research Fellow at St Mary's University College, Twickenham, London and has taught at universities in England, Canada, France and the Far East. Author of The Several Lives of Joseph Conrad (2007) and editor of The Cambridge Companion to Joseph Conrad (1996), he has edited several of Conrad's texts and is co-editor of Conrad's collected letters (Volumes 7 and 9). He has also published on E. M. Forster, William Golding, Thomas Hardy, Frank Harris, Angus Wilson and Virginia Woolf. Ernest W. Sullivan, II is Edward S. Diggs Endowed Chair in English at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Author(s)Joseph Conrad
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication12/01/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe Cambridge Edition of the Works of Joseph Conrad
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight900 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine39 mm
- Edited byErnest W. Sullivan,J. H. Stape
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.18
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.24
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.13
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.64
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.75
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.89
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.