All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis has happened before. The current financial crisis has only one parallel: the Wall Street Crash of 1929 and subsequent Great Depression of the 1930s, which crippled the future of an entire generation and set the stage for the horrors of the Second World War. Yet the ecomic meltdown could have been avoided, had it t been for the decisions taken by a small number of central bankers. In Lords of Finance , we meet these men, the four bankers who truly broke the world: the enigmatic Norman Montagu of the bank of England, Benjamin Strong of the NY Federal Reserve, the arrogant yet brilliant Hjalmar Schacht of the Reichsbanlk and the xephobic Emile Moreau of the Banque de France. Their names were lost to history, their lives and actions forgotten, until w. Liaquat Ahamed tells their story in vivid and gripping detail, in a timely and arresting reminder that individuals - their ambitions, limitations and human nature - lie at the very heart of global catastrophe.
- Author BiographyWith degrees in economics from the Universities of Cambridge and Harvard, Liaquat Ahamed has witnessed at close hand the way countries' economic policy is made and executed as a professional economist at the World Bank during the 1980s. He has since worked as an investment manager, with a ring-side seat at a sequence of financial crises, from the collapse of the European Monetary System in the 1990s to the current 'sub-prime' economic downturn. This is his first book.
- PrizesWinner of Council on Foreign Relations Arthur Ross Book Award 2010 and Pulitzer Prize for History 2010 and Spear's Book Awards: Financial History Book of the Year 2009 and Financial Times/Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award 2009. Shortlisted for BBC Samuel Johnson Prize for Non-Fiction 2009.
- Author(s)Liaquat Ahamed
- Date of Publication16/05/2009
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWindmill Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight459 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.