Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThe material included in this volume comes from a variety of sources, including the archives of the diocese of Clonfert and that which was gathered in 1931 by an t-Athair Eric McFhinn, a ted polyglot and scholar of the diocese. Taken in conjunction with the Schools Folklore Commission's work a few years later, this material w has a value beyond even that which was foreseen at the time. In June of 1922, in a singularly unhelpful exercise, some doughty Irishmen set off a landmine in the Public Records Office of the Four Courts. Thousands of old documents were destroyed, including the remaining censi from the nineteenth century and many of the Church of Ireland registers. Happily, just before this happened, Thomas T. O'Farrell had taken the time to type out extracts from the censi taken in Loughrea in 1821 and 1841 and they are also reproduced here in print for the first time. What emerges from this parish history, covering the areas of Cappatagle/ Kilrickle, Carrabane, Leitrim/Kilmeen, Loughrea, Mullagh/Killoran, New Inn/Bullaun, Killeenadeema/Aille and Kiltullagh/Killimordaly/Attymon is a curate's egg of information which we hope will hold something for everyone in the diocese, and which will add in its own way to the process of preserving a record of our past.
- Author BiographyDeclan Kelly is a local historian and author. His previous books for The History Press include Images of Ballinasloe.
- Author(s)Declan Kelly
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication28/01/2014
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content Note200 black & white illustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.