All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe authors discuss low-input agricultural strategies kwn and practised by many subsistence and smallholder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa, which are efficient and intensify food production. Their proposed techlogies are suitable options useable in response to concerns about the environmental impact made by using chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Therefore, new agricultural techlogies should be used in order to avoid land degradation but rather improve soil through appropriate conservation practices. With the help of these new low-input strategies, the exploitation of land leading to massive destruction, and as such to rural poverty, can be avoided. Field tests have shown that the low-input agricultural strategies are ecomically affordable to poor farmers and easy to implement.
- Author BiographyFrackson Lameck Mkandawire pursued his studies in agriculture in Malawi, Tanzania and Kenya. His academic interests are in food production, organic farming, farming system and sustainable agriculture. He is presently senior lecturer in agriculture at the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton (Kenya). Mmaduabuchukwu Mkpada is an expert on African agricultural economics. His findings can be found in various articles. His interests are in poverty eradication and economic policies development. The editor is professor for agricultural economics at the Novena University (Nigeria).
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication15/03/2011
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleStudies in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note99, fig., tables and graphs
- Weight260 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byFrackson Lameck Mkandawire,Mmaduabuchukwu Mkpada
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.