All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume examines two distinct low fertility scenarios that have emerged in ecomically advanced countries since the turn of the 20th century: one in which fertility is at or near replacement-level and the other where fertility is well below replacement. It explores the way various institutions, histories and cultures influence fertility in a diverse range of countries in Asia, Europe, North America and Australia. The book features invited papers from the Conference on Low Fertility, Population Aging and Population Policy, held December 2013 and co-sponsored by the East-West Center and the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs (KIHASA). It first presents an overview of the demographic and policy implications of the two low fertility scenarios. Next, the book explores five countries currently experiencing low fertility rates: China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and South Korea. It then examines three countries that have close to replacement-level fertility: Australia, the Netherlands and the United States. Each country is featured in a separate chapter written by a demographer with expert kwledge in the area. Very low fertility is linked to a number of conditions countries face, including a declining population size. At the same time, low fertility and its effect on the age structure, threatens social welfare policies. This book goes beyond the technical to examine the core institutional, policy and cultural factors behind this increasingly important issue. It helps readers to make cross-country comparisons and gain insight into how diverse institutions, policies and culture shape fertility levels and patterns.
- Author BiographyRonald R. Rindfuss is a Research Professor in the Department of Sociology, Adjunct Professor in the Geography Department, and a Fellow of the Carolina Population Center at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, and a Senior Fellow at the East-West Center, Honolulu, HI. He is Past President of the Population Association of America and a former Director of the Carolina Population Center. His research interests include fertility, population and the environment, migration and family demography.
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Notebiography
- Weight461 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byMinja Kim Choe,Ronald Rindfuss
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.