All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY THE WASHINGTON POST AND O: THE OPRAH MAGAZINE My father s wife died. My mother said we should drive down to his place and see what might be in it for us. So begins this remarkable vel by Amy Bloom, whose critically acclaimed Away was called a literary triumph (The New York Times). Lucky Us is a brilliantly written, deeply moving, fantastically funny vel of love, heartbreak, and luck. Disappointed by their families, Iris, the hopeful star and Eva the sidekick, journey through 1940s America in search of fame and fortune. Iris s ambitions take the pair across the America of Reinvention in a stolen station wagon, from small-town Ohio to an unexpected and sensuous Hollywood, and to the jazz clubs and golden mansions of Long Island. With their friends in high and low places, Iris and Eva stumble and shine though a landscape of big dreams, scandals, betrayals, and war. Filled with gorgeous writing, memorable characters, and surprising events, Lucky Us is a thrilling and resonant vel about success and failure, good luck and bad, the creation of a family, and the pleasures and inevitable perils of family life, conventional and otherwise. From Brooklyn s beauty parlors to London s West End, a group of unforgettable people love, lie, cheat and survive in this story of our fragile, absurd, heroic species. Praise for Lucky UsLucky Us is a remarkable accomplishment. One waits a long time for a vel of this scope and dimension, replete with surgically drawn characters, a mix of comedy and tragedy that borders on the miraculous, and sentences that should be in a sentence museum. Amy Bloom is a treasure. Michael Cunningham Exquisite . . . a short, vibrant book about all kinds of people creating all kinds of serial, improvisatory lives. The New York Times Bighearted, rambunctious . . . a bustling tale of American reinvention . . . If America has a Victor Hugo, it is Amy Bloom, whose picaresque vels roam the world, plumb the human heart and send characters into wild roulettes of kismet and calamity. The Washington Post Bloom s crisp, delicious prose gives [Lucky Us] the feel of sprawling, brawling life itself. . . . Lucky Us is a sister act, which means a double dose of sauce and naughtiness from the brilliant Amy Bloom. The Oregonian A tasty summer read that will leave you smiling . . . Broken hearts [are] held together by lipstick, wisecracks and the enduring love of sisters. USA Today Exquisitely imagined . . . [a] grand adventure. O: The Oprah Magazine Marvelous picaresque entertainment . . . a festival of joy and terror and lust and amazement that resolves itself here, warts and all, in a kind of crystalline Mozartean clarity of vision. ElleFrom the Hardcover edition.
- Author BiographyAmy Bloom is the author of the bestselling and acclaimed Away; Come to Me, a National Book Award finalist; A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You, nominated for the National Book Critics Circle Award; Love Invents Us; and Normal.
- Author(s)Amy Bloom
- PublisherRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Date of Publication29/07/2014
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Weight181 g
- Width130 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Read byAlicyn Packard
- Contained items statement6 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time450
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $32.65Trending at AU $39.26
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $18.31Trending at AU $19.62
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.23
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.04
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.35
- AU $30.54Trending at AU $31.56
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.