All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this haunting 1935 vel, the Pulitzer Prize winning author of My Antonia performs crystalline variations on the themes that preoccupy her greatest fiction: the impermanence of incence, the opposition between prairie and city, provincial American values and world culture, and the grandeur, elation, and heartache that await a gifted young woman who leaves her small Nebraska town to pursue a life in art.At the age of eighteen, Lucy Gayheart heads for Chicago to study music. She is beautiful and impressionable and ardent, and these qualities attract the attention of Clement Sebastian, an aging but charismatic singer who exercises all the tragic, sinister fascination of a man who has reunced life only to turn back to seize it one last time. Out of their doomed love affair and Lucy's fatal estrangement from her origins Willa Cather creates a vel that is as achingly lovely as a Schubert sonata.
- Author BiographyWILLA CATHER, author of twelve novels, including O Pioneers!, My Antonia, and Death Comes for the Archbishop, was born in Virginia in 1873 but grew up in Nebraska, where many of her novels are set. She died in 1947 in New York City.
- Author(s)Willa Cather
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleVintage classics
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Weight272 g
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.