All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDiscover: .How the springs at Hierapolis help us understand why Jesus described the church at Laodicea as lukewarm .The background and circumstances of certificates of divorce in Judaism .How Jewish dietary laws provided a powerful metaphor for God's acceptance of the Gentiles Brimming with photos and graphics, the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary walks you verse by verse through all the books of the New Testament. It's like slipping on a set of glasses that lets you read the Bible through the eyes of a first-century reader! Discoveries await you that will snap the world of the New Testament into gripping immediacy. Things that seem mystifying, puzzling, or obscure will take on tremendous meaning when you view them in their ancient context. You'll deepen your understanding of the teachings of Jesus. You'll discover the close, sometimes startling interplay between God's kingdom and the practical affairs of the church. Best of all, you'll gain a deepened awareness of the Bible's relevance for your life. Written in a clear, engaging style, this beautiful set provides a new and accessible approach that more technical expository and exegetical commentaries don't offer. It features: .Commentary based on relevant papyri, inscriptions, archaeological discoveries, and studies of Judaism, Roman culture, Hellenism, and other features of the world of the New Testament .Hundreds of photographs, illustrations, and line drawings .Copious maps, charts, and timelines.Sidebar articles and insights . Reflections on the Bible's relevance for 21st-century living Written by leading evangelical contributors: Clinton E. Arld (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen), General Editor S. M. Baugh (Ph.D., University of California, Irvine) Peter H. Davids (Ph.D., University of Manchester) David E. Garland (Ph.D., Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) David W. J. Gill (D.Phil., University of Oxford) George H. Guthrie (Ph.D., Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary) Moyer V. Hubbard (D.Phil., University of Oxford) Andreas J. Kostenberger (Ph.D., Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) Ralph P. Martin (Ph.D., University of London, King's College) Douglas J. Moo (Ph.D., University of St. Andrews) Mark L. Strauss (Ph.D. , University of Aberdeen) Frank Thielman (Ph.D., Duke University) Jeffrey A. D. Weima (Ph.D., University of Toronto) Michael J. Wilkins (Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary) Mark W. Wilson (D.Litt. et Phil., University of South Africa) Julie L. Wu (Ph.D., Fuller Theological Seminary) Robert W. Yarbrough (Ph.D., University of Aberdeen)
- Author BiographyMark Strauss (PhD, Aberdeen) is professor of New Testament at Bethel Seminary in San Diego. He has written The Davidic Messiah in Luke-Acts, Distorting Scripture?, The Challenge of Bible Translation and Gender Accuracy, The Gospels and Jesus; Four Portraits, One Jesus; Luke in the Zondervan Illustrated Bible Background Commentary series. Mark in the revised Expositor's Bible Commentary series, and Mark in the Zondervan Exegetical Commentary series. Clinton E. Arnold (PhD, University of Aberdeen) is Dean and Professor of New Testament at Talbot School of Theology in LaMirada, California.
- Author(s)Mark L. Strauss
- Date of Publication16/06/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleZondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2015
- Content Noteillustrations
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.