All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionIn this new account of the emergence of a distinctive territorial state in early modern Germany, Robert von Friedeburg examines how the modern tion of state does t rest on the experience of a bureaucratic state-apparatus. It emerged to stabilize monarchy from dynastic insecurity and constrain it to protect the rule of law, subjects, and their lives and property. Against this background, Lutheran and neo-Aristotelian tions on the spiritual and material welfare of subjects dominating German debate interacted with Western European arguments against 'despotism' to protect the lives and property of subjects. The combined result of this interaction under the impact of the Thirty Years War was Seckendorff's Der Deutsche Furstenstaat (1656), constraining the evil machinations of princes and organizing the detailed administration of life in the tradition of German Policey, and which founded a specifically German tion of the modern state as comprehensive provision of services to its subjects.
- Author BiographyRobert von Friedeburg has been a Visiting Fellow at Harvard University, Massachusetts (1987-8), a Heisenberg Research Fellow (1996-2000), a Member of the Institute for Advanced Study, Princeton (2002), and holder of the Chaire Dupron (Sorbonne, Paris, 2009). He received the Bennigsen Foerder Prize in 1992 and has been a member of the Academia Europaea since 2012. He is the author of seven monographs and the editor of ten volumes, including Self-Defence and Religious Strife in Early Modern Europe: England and Germany, 1530-1680 (2002), Murder and Monarchy: Regicide in European History, 1300-1800 (2004) and Perspectives on an Interdisciplinary Subject: Politics, Law, Society, History and Religion in the Politica, 1590s-1650s (2013).
- Author(s)Robert von Friedeburg
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/01/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Weight770 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.