Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.57
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionJean--Francois Lyotard was one of the most influential European thinkers in recent decades. He was a leading participant in debates about post--modernism and the decline of Marxism, and he made important contributions to ethics, aesthetics and political philosophy. In this authoritative introduction, Williams tracks the development of Lyotarda s thought from his early writings on the libidinal ecomy to his more recent work on the post--modern condition. Williams argues that despite the wide--ranging character of Lyotarda s writings, they are animated by a long--standing concern to develop a new theory of political action. Lyotarda s productive use of avant--garde art and the aesthetics of the sublime are interpreted within this context. In the final chapters some of the main criticisms that have been levelled at Lyotarda s work are outlined and assessed. A challenging but also accessible book, it will be welcomed by students and researchers in continental philosophy, literary theory and the humanities generally.
- Author BiographyJames Williams is Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of Dundee.
- Author(s)James Williams
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication21/08/1998
- SubjectPolitical Science & Theory
- Series TitleKey Contemporary Thinkers
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight358 g
- Width159 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.