Lyric Poetry by Women of the Italian Renaissance by Virginia Cox (Paperback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $35.86Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $67.43+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLyric Poetry by Women of the Italian Renaissance is the first modern anthology of verse by Italian women of this period to give a full representation of the richness and diversity of their output. Although familiar authors such as Vittoria Colonna, Gaspara Stampa, and Veronica Gambara are well represented, half of the fifty-four poets featured are unkwn even to many specialists. Especially teworthy is an extensive selection of verse from the period following 1560, which has received little or critical attention. This later, strikingly experimental, proto-Baroque tradition of verse is reconstructed here for the first time. Virginia Cox creates both a scholarly teaching resource and a collection of poetry accessible to general readers with previous kwledge of the Italian poetic tradition. Each poem is presented in its original language, accompanied by a translation and commentary. An introduction traces the history of Italian lyric poetry from the fifteenth to the seventeenth century. Cox also provides a guide to meter, rhythm, and rhyme, as well as a glossary of rhetorical terms and a biographical dictionary of authors. Organized thematically, this book offers poems about love, religion, and politics; verse addressed to patrons, friends, family, and places; and polemical and correspondence verse. Four languages are represented: Greek, Latin, literary Tuscan of various levels of standardization, and the stylized rustic dialect of pavan. The volume contains more than 200 poems, of which about a quarter have never before been published in a modern edition and more than a third have t previously been available in English translation. Exhaustive and insightful...This is an amazing book, a major achievement in the field of women's studies. (Renaissance Quarterly, reviewing Women's Writing in Italy, 1400-1650).
- Author BiographyVirginia Cox is a professor of Italian and director of graduate studies at New York University. She is author of The Prodigious Muse: Women's Writing in Counter-Reformation Italy and Women's Writing in Italy, 1400-1650, both published by Johns Hopkins.
- Author(s)Virginia Cox
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication20/08/2013
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Weight658 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 13
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.64
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.50Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.