All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe main objective of this book is to provide an up-to-date survey of the rapidly advancing eld of cancer therapy. Moreover, since our kwledge in this area rapidly evolves, some data have got obsolete during the process of book editing. Our understanding of the mechanisms involved in cancer genesis and progression underwent unprecedented expansion during the last decade, opening a new era of cancer treatment - targeted therapy. The surge in this area results in small part from studies conducted jointly by basic health scientists and clinical investigators. It is our hope that this book will help foster even further collaboration between investigators in these two disciplines. The target of rapamycin (TOR) was rst identi ed in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and subsequently in mammals (mTOR) as a conserved atypical serine/threonine kinase. In mammalian cells, mTOR exists in at least two multi-protein complexes that have critical roles in regulating cellular homeostasis and survival. As with many other areas of science, discovery of TOR signaling was fortuitous. Rapamycin was isolated as a product of the soil bacteria Streptomyces hygroscopicus, identi ed in a soil sample taken from the island of Rapa Nui (Easter Island). Rapamycin was rst discovered to be a potent antifungal agent and next as an immune suppressive drug. It was only later that it was found to be active as an antitumor agent in n-clinical models; although it was t developed for this indication. The history of rapamycin presents one of the rst examples of chemical genetics.
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication01/01/2010
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Series TitleCancer Drug Discovery and Development
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note3 colour tables, biography
- Weight695 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byPeter J. Houghton,V. A. Polunovsky
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.