All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $23.75Trending at AU $29.45
- AU $15.78Trending at AU $17.21
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $32.64
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $49.86
- AU $20.43Trending at AU $28.55
- AU $11.56Trending at AU $11.75
- AU $26.00Trending at AU $27.65
About this product
- DescriptionThe Shakespeare Handbooks provide a helpful, straightforward guide to the work of the world's most celebrated dramatist. Along with a clear, easy-to-follow description of the plot, each book contains plenty of quotations from the text - with simple explanations of any unfamiliar words and phrases - and some thought-provoking comments from critics, past and present. The Shakespeare Handbooks include a few intriguing Shakespearean facts and figures, too. How old was Shakespeare when he wrote Macbeth? Why did the play appeal so strongly to the King? How does the Gunpowder Plot come into the play? And why is bear-baiting mentioned? Which word is used more frequently in Macbeth than in any other play by Shakespeare? What did Laurence Olivier think of the play? And Giuseppe Verdi? And W. H. Auden? If you're apprehensive about approaching a Shakespeare play, the Shakespeare Handbooks provide the perfect introduction. They're ideal for students, theatregoers - in fact, anyone curious to kw more about the greatest plays in the English language. These are a few of the appreciative comments we've received about the Shakespeare Handbooks: Tremendously useful in helping to understand Shakespeare's works - Dame Judi Dench. Very readable, very helpful - Kenneth Branagh. The Shakespeare Handbooks open the plays up admirably. Excellent for all levels of reader - everybody will get something from them. - Simon Callow.
- Author BiographyAlistair McCallum grew up in Stratford-upon-Avon, and was a regular visitor to the town's Royal Shakespeare Theatre from an early age. He later studied English Literature at Jesus College, Cambridge. Since graduating, he has worked as a teacher, editor and writer.
- Author(s)Alistair McCallum
- PublisherUpstart Crow Publications
- Date of Publication29/04/1996
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Literature, Arts & Humanities
- Series TitleShakespeare Handbooks
- Place of PublicationBerwick
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUpstart Crow Publications
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight104 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine4 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.