All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMachiavelli in the Making is both a vel interpretation of the Florentine's work and a critical document for understanding influential French scholar and public intellectual Claude Lefort's later writings on democracy and totalitarianism. Lefort extricates Machiavelli's thought from the dominant interpretations of him as the founder of objective political science, which, having liberated itself from the religious and moralizing tendencies of medieval political reflection, attempts to arrive at a realistic discourse on the operations of raw power. Lefort ultimately finds that Machiavelli's discourse opens the place of the political which had previously been occupied by theology and morality.
- Author BiographyClaude Lefort (1924-2010) taught at the University of Sao Paulo, the Sorbonne, and the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales. His books include The Political Forms of Modern So-ciety: Bureaucracy, Democracy, Totalitarianism (1986), Democracy and Political Theory (1989), Writing: The Political Test (2000), and Complications: Communism and the Dilemmas of Democ-racy (2007).
- Author(s)Claude Lefort
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication15/01/2012
- Series TitleStudies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight456 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Translated byMichael Smith
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.