All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.27Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $26.57Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.02
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $21.99
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $29.82
About this product
- DescriptionToday, machine learning underlies a range of applications we use every day, from product recommendations to voice recognition -- as well as some we don't yet use everyday, including driverless cars. It is the basis of the new approach in computing where we do t write programs but collect data; the idea is to learn the algorithms for the tasks automatically from data. As computing devices grow more ubiquitous, a larger part of our lives and work is recorded digitally, and as Big Data has gotten bigger, the theory of machine learning -- the foundation of efforts to process that data into kwledge -- has also advanced. In this book, machine learning expert Ethem Alpaydin offers a concise overview of the subject for the general reader, describing its evolution, explaining important learning algorithms, and presenting example applications. Alpaydin offers an account of how digital techlogy advanced from number-crunching mainframes to mobile devices, putting today's machine learning boom in context. He describes the basics of machine learning and some applications; the use of machine learning algorithms for pattern recognition; artificial neural networks inspired by the human brain; algorithms that learn associations between instances, with such applications as customer segmentation and learning recommendations; and reinforcement learning, when an automous agent learns act so as to maximize reward and minimize penalty. Alpaydin then considers some future directions for machine learning and the new field of data science, and discusses the ethical and legal implications for data privacy and security.
- Author BiographyEthem Alpaydin is Professor in the Department of Computer Engineering at Bogazici University, Istanbul. He is the author of the widely used textbook Introduction to Machine Learning, now in its third edition (MIT Press).
- Author(s)Ethem Alpaydin
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication11/11/2016
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Series TitleThe MIT Press Essential Knowledge Series
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note10 b&w illus.
- Weight181 g
- Width127 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.