Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the story of an anthropologist's encounter with a Huichol Indian kwn as 'Mad Jesus'. Jesus was an artisan, a shaman, a self-styled prophet, a mad messiah, and a murderous mystic. Timothy J Knab was a young anthropologist soliciting life histories from Huichols in Mexico City when they met. The life story of Jesus may have been the ravings of a madman, but it also embodied the Huichol anticipation of the return of Santo Cristo, the saviour who will restore the Huichol to their place as masters of the world around them. Neither Knab's studies in anthropology r his experiences in the world of counterculture prepared him to understand this strange Indian and his violent history and behaviour. A narrative of frightening encounters with a charismatic deviant, the tale culminates in the quest to discover what really happened when Jesus was killed in a police shootout thirty years after Knab's last disturbing confrontation with him. The book provides an overview of the Huichol and the plight of Mesoamerican Indians. It also sheds light on traditional religion, indigeus Catholicism, messianic cults, urbanisation, and indigeus conflicts with the modern Mexican state.
- Author BiographyTimothy J Knab teaches at the Universidad de las Americas in Puebla, Mexico. An anthropologist and linguist by profession, as well as a classically trained chef, educator, and administrator, Dr Knab has worked for many years in both Mexico and the United States.
- Author(s)T. J. Knab
- PublisherUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2004
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationAlbuquerque, NM
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of New Mexico Press
- Weight602 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.