All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAmerican art has been essential to The Phillips Collection since its founding by Duncan Phillips in 1921. Phillips's collecting interests were decidedly against the grain: he acquired the work of living American artists, especially those outside the mainstream, when it was unpopular to do so and promoted diversity, as seen in works by self-taught artists, artists of color, and naturalized Americans, resulting in a rich assembly of independent-minded artists, including Milton Avery, Stuart Davis, Arthur Dove, and Georgia O'Keeffe. The Phillips Collection's superb collection of American art, acquired over half a century, is presented here for the first time in a comprehensive overview, featuring 160 works from heroes of the late 19th century--such as William Merritt Chase, Thomas Eakins, and Winslow Homer, who set the course for modern art in America--to abstract expressionists Willem de Kooning, Richard Diebenkorn, Adolph Gottlieb, and Mark Rothko, whose efforts to create a new visual language following World War II brought a new global significance to American art. A perennial guide to this important collection, the book includes scholarly essays on Phillips and on the Rothko Room, introductions to key groups of works in the collection, more than one hundred biographies of the most influential artists represented, and a chrology of Phillip's acquisitions and interactions with American artists.
- Author BiographySusan Behrends Frank is associate curator for research and Eliza E. Rathbone is chief curator, both at The Phillips Collection.
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/01/2014
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitlePhillips Collection
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note143 colour + 92 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight1048 g
- Width229 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited bySusan Behrends Frank
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.