All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMade to be Seen brings together leading scholars of visual anthropology to examine the historical development of this multifaceted and growing field. Expanding the definition of visual anthropology beyond more limited tions, the contributors to Made to be Seen reflect on the role of the visual in all areas of life. Different essays critically examine a range of topics: art, dress and body adornment, photography, the built environment, digital forms of visual anthropology, indigeus media, the body as a cultural phemen, the relationship between experimental and ethgraphic film, and more. The first attempt to present a comprehensive overview of the many aspects of an anthropological approach to the study of visual and pictorial culture, Made to be Seen will be the standard reference on the subject for years to come. Students and scholars in anthropology, sociology, visual studies, and cultural studies will greatly benefit from this pioneering look at the way the visual is inextricably threaded through most, if t all, areas of human activity.
- Author BiographyMarcus Banks is professor of visual anthropology at the University of Oxford and the author, most recently, of Using Visual Data in Qualitative Research. Jay Ruby is professor emeritus of anthropology at Temple University and the author or editor of numerous books, including Picturing Culture: Essays on Film and Anthropology, also published by the University of Chicago Press.
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/08/2011
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note27 halftones
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byJay Ruby,Marcus Banks
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.