All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFormed by Howard Devoto in late 1977 and brought together some of the finest and most invative musicians of the era in the core line-up of Devoto, John McGeoch, Barry Adamson, Dave Formula and John Doyle. Independent of prevailing popular styles, Magazine had its roots in punk but had a greater emphasis on lyrical content whilst combining elements of avant-garde pop, funk and rock. 'This book sets Magazine in the context of the post-punk music and arts scene in Manchester in the late 1970s. It discusses the prevailing climate of the decentralisation of the music industry, growth of independent labels and the DIY attitude born of arrogance combined with a good record collection' - Tony Wilson. With unique access to the band members past and present, and interviews with many other people including managers, record company executives, producers and contemporary musicians, Helen Chase presents a fascinating insights into one of the most important bands to emerge from the ashes of punk rock. Biographical details of individual band members, along with their influences, are discussed. The chrology of the band between 1977-1981 is charted and the dynamics and creative process at work are explored. The book also details the activities of key members since the band's demise in 1981 and follows their subsequent reunion. The band's iconic artwork is examined with contributions from artist Linder Sterling and designer Malcolm Garrett. Including lyrics by Howard Devoto and exclusive and unseen photographs taken by band members and friends it provides a valuable source of reference about the influential group.
- Author BiographyHelen Chase is both an author and teacher. Born in Bradford she now happily lives near Newcastle upon Tyne with her daughther. A key element of Helen's writing is based on her in-depth and personal interviews with band members, managers, record company executives, producers and fans.
- Author(s)Helen Chase
- PublisherMcNidder & Grace
- Date of Publication01/09/2009
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationPembroke Dock
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNorthumbria Press
- Content Note40 b&w and colour photographs
- Weight476 g
- Width250 mm
- Height250 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.