All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMagazines are the most successful media format ever to have existed: so begins Magazine Journalism as it traces how magazines arose from their earliest beginnings in 1665 to become the ubiquitous format we kw today. This book combats the assumptions among media academics as well as journalists that magazines somehow don't count, and presents a compelling assessment of the development and invation at the heart of magazine publishing. In magazines we find some of the key debates in journalism, from the genesis of 'marketing to the reader' to feminist history, subcultures and tabloidization. Embedding these questions in a thoroughly historical framework, Holmes and Nice argue for an understanding of magazine journalism as essential in the media landscape. Moving beyond the semiotic and textual analysis so favoured by critics of the past, the authors complete the story with an exploration of the production and consumption of magazines. Drawing on interviews with more than 30 magazine journalists across the industry, what emerges is a story of resilience, invation and a unique ability to embrace new markets and readerships. Magazine Journalism takes the reader to the heart of key questions in the past, present and future of journalism and is essential reading for students across media studies.
- Author BiographyTim Holmes is Senior Lecturer in Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies at Cardiff University. Liz Nice has currently suspended teaching and is managing editor at Archant media.
- Author(s)Liz Nice,Tim Holmes
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication10/11/2011
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleJournalism Studies: Key Texts
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Weight408 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.