All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a fully illustrated oral history of the Magnetic Fields' 1999 triple album, 69 Love Songs - an album that was afforded classic status by many almost as soon as it was released. LD Beghtol's book is chatty, incestuous, funny, dark, digressive, sexy, maddening, and delightful in equal measures. It documents a vital and influential scene from the inside, involving ukuleles and tears, citations and foottes, analogue drum machines, floods of cognac, and a family tree, and, oh, a crossword puzzle too. The centre of the book is the secret history of these tuneful, acerbic, and sometimes heartbreaking songs of old love, new love, lost love, punk rock love, gay love, straight love, experimental music love, true love, blue love, and the utter lack of love that fill the album - as told by participants, fans, imitators, naysayers, and others. It also includes studio anecdotes, a glossary, performance tes from the full album shows in New York and London, rare and unpublished images, personal memorabilia, and much much more.
- Author BiographyLD Beghtol has written extensively about pop music, books, and the visual arts in Time Out New York, The Advocate, and the Village Voice. He has released half a dozen albums under several guises, and was a performer on 69 Love Songs.
- Author(s)L.D. Beghtol
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication03/01/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series Title33 1/3
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note45 illustrations (b & w)
- Weight159 g
- Width121 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.68Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.