All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe words Asian American film might evoke a painfully earnest, low-budget documentary or family drama, destined to be seen only in small film festivals or on PBS (Public Broadcasting Service). In her groundbreaking study of the past fifty years of Asian American film and video, Jun Okada demonstrates that although this stereotype is t entirely unfounded, a remarkably diverse range of Asian American filmmaking has emerged. Yet Okada also reveals how the legacy of institutional funding and the PBS style unites these filmmakers, whether they are working within that system or setting themselves in opposition to its conventions. Making Asian American Film and Video explores how the genre has served as a flashpoint for debates about what constitutes Asian American identity. Tracing a history of how Asian American film was initially conceived as a form of public-interest media, part of a broader effort to give voice to underrepresented American mirities, Okada shows why this seemingly well-intentioned project inspired deeply ambivalent responses. In addition, she considers a number of Asian American filmmakers who have opted out of producing state-funded films, from Wayne Wang to Gregg Araki to Justin Lin. Okada gives us a unique behind-the-scenes look at the various institutions that have bankrolled and distributed Asian American films, revealing the dynamic interplay between commercial and state-run media. More than just a history of Asian Americans in film, Making Asian American Film and Video is an insightful meditation on both the achievements and the limitations of institutionalized multiculturalism.
- Author BiographyJun Okado is an assistant professor of English and director of film studies at the State University of New York, Geneseo, USA.
- Author(s)Jun Okado
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication30/01/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Series TitleAsian American Studies Today
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note12 photographs
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.74
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.18
- AU $40.72Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.