All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRobert Gardner's classic Dead Birds is one of the most highly acclaimed and controversial documentary films ever made. This detailed and candid account of the process of making Dead Birds , from the birth of the idea through filming in New Guinea to editing and releasing the finished film, is more than the chronicle of a single work. It is also a thoughtful examination of what it meant to record the moving and violent rituals of warrior-farmers in the New Guinea highlands and to present to the world a graphic story of their behavior as a window onto our own. Letters, journals, telegrams, newspaper clippings, and over 50 images are assembled to recreate a vivid chrology of events. Making Dead Birds t only addresses the art and practice of filmmaking, but also explores issues of representation and the discovery of meaning in human lives.Gardner led a remarkable cast of participants on the 1961 expedition. All brought back extraordinary bodies of work. Probably most influential of all was Dead Birds , which marked a sea change in nfiction filmmaking. This book takes the reader inside the creative process of making that landmark film and offers a revealing look into the heart and mind of one of the great filmmakers of our time.
- Author BiographyRobert Gardner is an Associate of the Harvard Department of Visual and Environmental Studies, Founding Director of the Harvard Film Study Center, and Former Director of the Harvard University Carpenter Center.
- Author(s)Robert Gardner
- PublisherPeabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology,U.S.
- Date of Publication04/03/2008
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeabody Museum of Archaeology & Ethnology,U.S.
- Content Note65 photographs
- Weight650 g
- Width188 mm
- Height266 mm
- Spine12 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.