All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides new ways of thinking about the vibrant media and craft cultures generated by Riot Grrrl and feminism's third wave. It focuses on a cluster of feminist publications -- including BUST, Bitch, HUES, Venus Zine, and Rockrgrl -- that began as zines in the 1990s. By tracking their successes and failures, this book provides insight into the politics of feminism's recent past. The book brings together interviews with magazine editors, research from zine archives, and analysis of the advertising, articles, editorials, and letters to the editor found in third-wave feminist magazines. It situates these publications within the long history of feminist publishing in the United States and Canada and argues that third-wave feminist magazines share important continuities and breaks with their historical forerunners. These publishing lineages challenge the still-dominant -- and hotly contested -- wave metaphor categorisation of feminist culture. The stories, struggles, and strategies of these magazines t only represent contemporary feminism, they create and shape feminist cultures. The publications provide a feminist counter-public sphere in which the competing interests of editors, writers, readers, and advertisers can interact. The book argues that reading feminist magazines is far more than the consumption of information or entertainment: it is a profoundly intimate and political activity that shapes how readers understand themselves and each other as feminist thinkers.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Groeneveld is an assistant professor of Women's Studies at Old Dominion University. Her work is published in the Journal of Gender Studies, the Canadian Review of American Studies, and the edited collections Not Drowning, But Waving: Women, Feminism and the Liberal Arts (2011) and Modern Print Activism in the United States (2013). Her current research examines transnational feminist media events.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Groeneveld
- PublisherWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Date of Publication11/11/2015
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationWaterloo, Ontario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintWilfrid Laurier University Press
- Weight312 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.