All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Hall and Burke ackwledge that formative assessment is hard work. But they make clear that the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages! They neatly divide it into bite-sized chapters, with each building neatly on the one before - [this book] is easily accessible to the reader' - BJET . This book explains and exemplifies formative assessment in practice. Drawing on incidents and case studies from primary classrooms, it describes and analyses how teachers use formative assessment to promote learning. It argues the case for formative assessment with reference to sociocultural perspectives on learning and it examines this in the context of current assessment policy.Themes addressed in the various chapters include feedback, the power and roles of learners and teachers in formative assessment; self and peer assessment; and sharing success criteria with learners. Individual chapters explore formative assessment in: literacy, numeracy, art, science,and history. In addition there are two chapters on formative assessment in the early years. Making Formative Assessment Work provides teachers, student teachers, teacher educators and researchers with a sophisticated grasp of issues in formative assessment and how they relate to the improvement of pupil learning.
- Author BiographyKATHY HALL was Professor of Education at Leeds Metropolitan University before moving to the Open University. She has published widely on assessment and has conducted several research projects on the topic, including an ESRC-funded study on teacher assessment. Listening to Stephen Read: Multiple Perspectives on Literacy (Open University Press, 2003) is her most recent publication. WINNIFRED BURKE is currently a freelance school inspector, teacher trainer and researcher. Following a long career in teaching and school management, she has recently completed doctoral research in the field of formative assessment for learning, and has published in the field of assessment and creative writing.
- Author(s)Kathy Hall,Winnifred Burke
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2004
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables
- Weight385 g
- Width61 mm
- Height90 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.