All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA volume in I.S.C.E Book Series: Managing the Complex Series Editors Kurt Richardson and Michael Lissack, ISCE Research In this volume, Hugo Letiche tackles the all-important question, is there care in healthcare? If, as Klaus Krippendorff (2006) argues, meaning is a structured space, a network of expected senses, a set of possibilities .[that] emerges in the use of language, then within the healthcare systems of today, the meaning of care has been defined to be the eradication of a problem. We must recognize that patients do t wish to regarded merely as a problem requiring eradication. Letiche is opposed to the very idea that complexity reduction can address the humanity of each individual healthcare situation. He argues that, through narratives and through complexity based social theory, the complexity of each individual situation must be transcended through mindful listening and engaged dialogue. Letiche suggests that in the absence of such mindfulness, the lack of time for true listening, and the inability of providers and systems to allow for patients and family to engage in dialogue lies both the roots of the problem and the potential for its solution. If complexity theory has a role in the analysis understanding and betterment of social systems, then approaches such as the one Letiche undertakes herein will become essential tools of the trade.
- Author BiographyHugo Letiche, University of Humanist Studies, The Netherlands.
- Author(s)Hugo K. Letiche
- PublisherInformation Age Publishing
- Date of Publication01/09/2008
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Series TitleISCE Book Series - Managing the Complex
- Place of PublicationGreenwich
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintInformation Age Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight597 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Series Edited byMichael Lissak,Kurt A. Richardson
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.