All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.90
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $87.85
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.47
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.18
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $34.77Trending at AU $42.60
About this product
- DescriptionMaking Nature Whole is a seminal volume that presents an in-depth history of the field of ecological restoration as it has developed over the last three decades. The authors draw from both published and unpublished sources, including archival materials and oral histories from early practitioners, to explore the development of the field and its importance to environmental management as well as to the larger environmental movement and our understanding of the world. Considering antecedents as varied as monastic gardens, the Scientific Revolution, and the emerging nature-awareness of nineteenth-century 'Romantics and Transcendentalists', Jordan and Lubick offer unique insight into the field's philosophical and theoretical underpinnings. They examine specifically the more recent history, including the story of those who first attempted to recreate natural ecosystems early in the twentieth century, as well as those who over the past few decades have realised the value of this approach t only as a critical element in conservation but also as a context for negotiating the ever-changing relationship between humans and the natural environment. Making Nature Whole is a landmark contribution, providing context and history regarding a distinctive form of land management and giving readers a fascinating overview of the development of the field. It is essential reading for anyone interested in understanding where ecological restoration came from or where it might be going.
- Author BiographyWilliam R. Jordan is Director of the New Academy for Nature and Culture and Codirector of the Institute for Nature and Culture, DePaul University, in Chicago, Illinois. George M. Lubick is a historian who has taught courses in American environmental history and the American West at Northern Arizona University, in Flagstaff.
- Author(s)George M. Lubick,William R. Jordan
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2011
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Weight454 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.