All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his latest work, John Rennie Short reveals how the spatial discourses of the sixteenth century formed a remarkable revolution that changed the way the world was represented. The cosmos was bound in a sphere; the world was gridded and plotted, the globe navigated, and the land surveyed. Spatial practices were codified, a spatial sensitivity was created and a cartographic literacy was established in the increasing use of maps and the creation of a cartographic language for new mappings of the world, state, and city. Short establishes that such spatial revisioning is connected to the promotion of commercial and national interests. Developments in navigation, for example, were often encouraged and promoted both by the state and by merchant companies. Surveying was closely connected to the rising cost of land and to the increasing commodification of agriculture. The continuous price rise of land in the sixteenth century was an important factor in the rise of spatial practices of mapping and surveying. In addition, he highlights the role of the occult practices in the new spatial sciences. Astrology and alchemy were as important as astromy and geometry.
- Author BiographyJohn Rennie Short is professor in the Department of Geography and Environmental Systems at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County. He is the author of New Worlds, New Geographies.
- Author(s)Rennie Short
- PublisherSyracuse University Press
- Date of Publication31/03/2004
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Series TitleSpace, Place, and Society
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSyracuse University Press
- Content Note71 illustrations, maps, appendix, index
- Weight386 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.