Making it Modern: The Folk Art Collection of Elie and Viola Nadelman by Margaret K Hofer, Roberta J M Olson (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $79.42Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $123.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis lavishly illustrated volume is the first comprehensive study of the folk art collection purchased by the New-York Historical Society from Elie and Viola Nadelman in 1937. Exhibited by the couple from 1926 to 1937 in their pioneering Museum of Folk and Peasant Arts in Riverdale, New York, the nearly fifteen thousand works come from a collection spanning six centuries, thirteen countries, and a broad range of media. Authors Margaret K. Hofer and Roberta J.M. Olson explore a nucleus of some two hundred and sixteen highlights in eighty-seven catalog entries, as well asnine of Nadelman's own sculptures, and consider the possible interchanges between the Nadelman's collecting and his avant-garde art. Their research, employing new archival evidence from the Historical Society and the rich cache of Nadelman Papers, has resulted in exciting discoveries, among them Nadelman's active role in restoring some of his folk art objects.Featuring seven provocative essays, Making It Modern breaks new ground t only on the Nadelmans and folk art, but also in the history of American art and taste during the fast-paced cultural revolutions of the early twentieth century.Margaret K. Hofer is curator of decorative arts, New York Historical SocietyRoberta J.M. Olson is curator of drawings, New York Historical SocietyElizabeth Stillinger is an independent scholar.Kenneth L. Ames is professor at the Bard Graduate Center, New York City.Cynthia Nadelman is an independent scholar and writer.Barbara Haskell is the curator at the Whitney Museum of American Art.
- Author BiographyMargaret K. Hofer is curator of Decorative Arts, New-York Historical Society. Roberta J.M. Olson, Ph.D. is professor emerita of Art History at Wheaton College in Massachusetts, and curator of Drawings at the New-York Historical Society. In addition to guest-curating exhibitions for museums in the United States, among them the National Gallery of Art and the Walters Art Museum, she has participated in exhibitions in Italy at the Galleria Nazionale d Arte Moderna in Rome (1983) and elsewhere, such as the MART, Museo di Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Trento e Rovereto.
- Author(s)Margaret K Hofer,Roberta J M Olson
- PublisherD Giles Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintD Giles Ltd
- Weight2245 g
- Width236 mm
- Height287 mm
- Spine36 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.99
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.