All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the first systematic literary study of one of the masterpieces of classical Arabic literature, the fourth/tenth century Kitab al-aghani (The Book of Songs) by Abu I-Faraj al-Isbahani. Until w the twenty-four volume Book of Songs has been regarded as a rather chaotic but priceless mine of information about classical Arabic music, literature and culture. This book approaches it as a work of literature in its own right, with its own internal logic and coherence. The study also consistently integrates the musical component into the analysis and proposes a reading of the work in which individual anecdotes and poems are related to the wider context, enhancing their meaning.
- Author BiographyHilary Kilpatrick studied Arabic at Oxford. She has taught at the universities of St. Andrews, UK, Nijmegen, The Netherlands and Bern, Switzerland, and now works as an independent scholar in Lausanne. She is one of the editors of the Arabic and Middle Eastern Literatures series, and has published on modern Arabic fiction and classical Arabic belles-lettres, and has made some translations from modern Arabic literature.
- Author(s)Hilary Kilpatrick
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2010
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.