All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1964, Malcolm X was invited to debate at the Oxford Union Society at Oxford University. The topic of debate that evening was the infamous phrase from Barry Goldwater's 1964 Republican Convention speech: Extremism in the defense of liberty is vice; moderation in the pursuit of justice is virtue. His response to this topic stands out as one of the great addresses of the civil rights era. In Malcolm X at Oxford Union, Saladin Ambar offers the first in-depth analysis of this important speech, illuminating its context and consequences. Delivered just months before Malcolm's assassination, the speech followed a period in which Malcolm had traveled throughout Africa and much of the Muslim world, advocating on behalf of blacks in America and other nations. The journey broadened his political thought to encompass decolonization and the revolutions underway in the developing world. His travels culminated in a revolutionary speech that tackled a staggering array of issues: the nature of national identity; US foreign policy in the developing world; racial politics at home; the experiences of black immigrants in England; and the nature of power in the contemporary world. The speech represented the most advanced stage of his thought, proffering a global and humanist approach to ushering in social change. Malcolm X at Oxford Union reshapes our understanding t only of the man himself, but world politics both then and w.
- Author BiographySaladin Ambar is Associate Professor of Political Science, Lehigh University.
- Author(s)Saladin M. Ambar
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication29/12/2016
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleTransgressing Boundaries: Studies in Black Politics and Black Communities
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.