All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a true historical account of war in the air, at sea and on land in the battle for Malta's survival in the Second World War. It was a battle which decided the outcome of the war in North Africa and the Mediterranean. Adrian Warburton, the airman described in the subtitle by Marshal of the Royal Air Force Lord Tedder, went missing in 1944 in a single-seat American aircraft. He had flown at least 395 operational missions mostly from Malta. Unusually for a reconnaissance pilot, 'Warby' as he was kwn was credited with nine aircraft shot down. He lay undiscovered for sixty years. He is the RAF's most highly decorated photo-recce pilot.In Malta, Adrian met Christina, a stranded dancer turned aircraft plotter in the secret world deep beneath Valletta's fortress walls. She too was decorated for heroism. Together, they became part of the island's folklore. How important was Malta and the girl from Cheshire to the man behind the medals? This tale takes the form of a quest opening in a cemetery in Bavaria and closing in ather in Malta.In between, the reader is immersed within the tension and drama surrounding Malta's Greater Siege retracing the steps of the main characters over the forever changed face of the island following its heroic victory.
- Author BiographyPAUL McDONALD served as an RAF photo-recce pilot in Malta thirty years after the events described in this story. He retired from the RAF in 2005 and lives in North Yorkshire. His first book Winged Warriors: The Cold War from the Cockpit was published by Pen & Sword Books Limited in 2012. For more information on the author and his work visit www.wingedwarriors.co.uk.
- Author(s)Paul McDonald
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Aviation
- Content Note70 illustrations
- Weight980 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.