All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the only book in the English language on Tunisian music, or on any national tradition of Arab Andalusian music, and it is the only book in any language to survey changes in the ma'luf since its modern revival in the early 20th Century within the framework of social, political, and musical developments in Tunisia and the wider Middle East. The author explores topics such as Arab music theory, modernization, westernization, and Egyptianization; the use of tation in oral tradition; and cultural policy. The relations between traditional music and the mass media are also considered, and the conclusions of this study have a significance that will extend beyond Tunisian and Middle Eastern music to ethmusicology as a whole.
- Author BiographyRuth F. Davis is Senior Lecturer in Ethnomusicology at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of Corpus Christi College Cambridge.
- Author(s)Ruth F. Davis
- PublisherScarecrow Press
- Date of Publication28/10/2004
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintScarecrow Press
- Content NoteIllustrations, ports., music
- Weight349 g
- Width146 mm
- Height224 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.