Mama Rose's Turn: The True Story of America's Most Notorious Stage Mother by Carolynn Quinn (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $41.69Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $56.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHers is the show business saga you think you already kw--but you ain't seen thin' yet. Rose Thompson Hovick, mother of June Havoc and Gypsy Rose Lee, went down in theatrical history as The Stage Mother from Hell after her immortalization on Broadway in Gypsy: A Musical Fable. Yet the musical was 75 percent fictionalized by playwright Arthur Laurents and condensed for the stage. Rose's full story is even more striking. Born fearless on the North Dakota prairie in 1891, Rose Thompson had a kind father and a gallivanting mother who sold lacy finery to prostitutes. She became an unhappy teenage bride whose marriage yielded two entrancing daughters, Louise and June. When June was discovered to be a child prodigy in ballet, capable of dancing en pointe by the age of three, Rose, without benefit of any theatrical training, set out to create onstage opportunities for her magical baby girl--and succeeded. Rose followed her own star and created two more in dramatic and colorful style: Baby June became a child headliner in vaudeville, and Louise grew up to be the well-kwn burlesque star Gypsy Rose Lee. The rest of Mama Rose's remarkable story included love affairs with both men and women, the operation of a lesbian pick-up joint where she sold homemade bathtub gin, wild attempts to extort money from Gypsy and June, two stints as a chicken farmer, and three allegations of cold-blooded murder--all of which was deemed unfit for the script of Gypsy. Here, at last, is the rollicking, wild saga that never made it to the stage.
- Author BiographyCarolyn Quinn is a historical researcher and urban photographer with a lifelong interest in musical theater. She acts as consultant to playwright DeeJae Cox of the Los Angeles Women's Theatre Project, where a new play about Rose Hovick is in development. Quinn is also a member of the Ziegfeld Society and serves on the Advisory Council of the Boo-Arts Theatre. Find her at www.carolynquinn.net.
- Author(s)Carolynn Quinn
- PublisherUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Date of Publication30/10/2013
- SubjectBiography: The Arts
- Place of PublicationJackson
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Mississippi
- Content Note62 black & white illustrations
- Weight676 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.