All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA light-hearted look at life in a sleepy Italian village which slowly awakes to the twenty-first century. In 1977, Valerie Barona made the decision to join her husband in Piussog, a small mountain village in rthern Italy. An English teacher born and raised in Dorset, she told of her early years in Piussog in That's Amore!, (Matador, 2013) and w revisits her life as a mother and housewife in the 1980s, trying to give her two children an English upbringing thousands of miles from home. Both children, Alex and Elisa, were bilingual by the age of two and enjoyed annual wet summers in Poole while their friends visited the Adriatic coast. Valerie herself took an active part in village life, singing in the church choir and giving English lessons, t to mention shooing the occasional stray cow from the garden. She takes a light-hearted look at her attempts to recreate English cooking and her gradual adjustment to a rural way of life which longer exists in Italy. As the book draws closer to 2015 and Valerie becomes a grandmother, she marvels at how Piussog has changed and how quickly her children have grown up. As the title of the book says, Mamma Mia...That's Life! Valerie's writing is light and peppered with very English humour. It's a book to pick up and flick through to relax, and picture an Italian village as it was over thirty years ago. It will appeal to fans of travel writing, particularly lovers of Italy.
- Author BiographyValerie Barona was born in 1955 in Poole, Dorset. She trained as a teacher and then followed her husband to Piussogno, his village in northern Italy. After having two children, she embraced village life and returned to teaching English. Nowadays, she also enjoys entertaining her grandchildren - and writing.
- Author(s)Valerie Barona
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication28/02/2016
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationMarket Harborough
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.