All listings for this product
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $33.46Trending at AU $39.19
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.49
- AU $18.31Trending at AU $19.58
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.20
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $44.96
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $35.28
- AU $29.30Trending at AU $31.51
About this product
- DescriptionA refreshingly imaginative, daring debut collection of stories which illuminates with audacious wit the complexity of human behavior, as seen through the lens of the natural worldTold with perfect rhythm and unyielding brutality, these stories expose unsuspecting men and women to the realities of nature, the primal instincts of man, and the dark humor and heartbreak of our struggle to t only thrive but survive. In Girl on Girl, a high school freshman goes to disturbing lengths to help an old friend. An insatiable temptress pursues the one man she can't have in Meteorologist Dave Santana. And in the title story, a long fraught friendship comes undone when three buddies get impossibly lost on a lake. In Diane Cook's perilous worlds, the quotidian surface conceals an unexpected surreality that illuminates different facets of our curious, troubling, and bewildering behavior.Other stories explore situations pulled directly from the wild, imposing on human lives the danger, tension, and precariousness of the natural world: a pack of t-needed boys take refuge in a murky forest and compete against each other for their next meal; an alpha male is pursued through city streets by murderous rivals and desirous women; helpless newborns are snatched by a man who stalks them from their suburban yards. Through these characters Cook asks: What is at the root of our most heartless, selfish impulses? Why are people drawn together in such messy, complicated, needful ways? When the unexpected intrudes upon the routine, what do we discover about ourselves?As entertaining as it is dangerous, this accomplished collection explores the boundary between the wild and the civilized, where nature acts as a catalyst for human drama and lays bare our vulnerabilities, fears, and desires.
- Author(s)Diane Cook
- PublisherBlackstone Audiobooks
- Date of Publication10/11/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBlackstone Audiobooks
- Read byHillary Huber,Bronson Pinchot
- Contained items statement6 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time414
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.