Managing People: A Guide for Department Chairs and Deans by John Wiley & Sons Inc (Hardback, 2007)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $50.39Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $45.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the most challenging responsibilities of being a college department chair or dean is to effectively manage the diverse and independent intellectuals that form the typical college faculty. Many administrators t only complain about the amount of time they devote to grappling with problems between faculty and staff members-but many also feel inadequately trained for resolving the problems they with which they are confronted. Managing People helps administrators handle the challenges they face when dealing with everyday personnel management problems. A collection of 13 essays, this book is written by experienced chairs, deans, and vice presidents who offer sensible advice based on personal experience and scholarly research. Each essay tackles a different aspect of people management, explaining the dimensions and subtleties of the issue as well as offering targeted suggestions and resources. Topics include* An analysis of how self-understanding is essential to any leader* Strategies for working with faculty and staff in a sincere and authentic manner* Approaches to positive leadership* Tips on achieving consensus among faculty* Advice on conducting departmental or college meetings that create cohesion* The different types of detractors or difficult individuals, and how best to deal with them* An explanation of how to eliminate negative defenses* Evaluations as useful for enhancing faculty performance and satisfaction* Ways in which to build and maintain faculty morale This book offers readers a practical guide on how to better manage faculty and staff in order to realize shared visions and positively impact their institutions.
- Author BiographyDeryl R. Leaming is former Professor of Journalism and Dean of the College of mass Communication at Middle Tennessee State University. He earned his Ph.D. in Mass Communication from Syracuse University, his M.A. from the University of Nebraska, and his B.A. from Fort Hays State University. He is also a graduate of a special program at the Menninger School of Psychiatry. Dr. Leaming served for more than 20 years as a department chair and dean at several different universities. He is an active member of the Society of Professional Journalists, having also served on the society's national board and as a regional director. He and his colleagues at Marshall University won the coveted First Amendment award from the society in 1993 for their courageous support of the university's student newspaper and the principles embodied in the First Amendment. He is the author of Academic Leadership: A Practical Guide to Chairing the Department (Anker, 1998), the editor of the online journal, Academic Leadership, and the author of many journal articles.
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication24/07/2007
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleJossey-Bass Resources for Department Chairs
- Place of PublicationBolton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAnker Publishing Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight502 g
- Width158 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byDeryl R. Leaming
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.07New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $73.99New
- AU $61.14Used
- AU $93.21New
- AU $101.29New
- AU $70.76New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $81.85
- AU $22.09Trending at AU $23.44
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.37
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.15
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $73.99
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.65
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.