Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.67+ AU $7.50 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $58.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.88Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a sequel to the author's best-selling A Practical Guide for Translators first published in 1993 and w in its 4th edition. Managing Translation Services looks at how to successfully make the change from being a single freelance translator to developing a translation company offering a range of value added services. The book is intended principally for those who presently work as a freelance translator with all the inherent limitations this presents in terms of income and being reliant on the limited range of skills that the individual can offer. While some business skills will have been accumulated by virtue of working in a commercial environment, the transition from being responsible for oneself and taking the bold step of employing additional resources can be quite daunting. However, the opportunities this offers in terms of income and personal satisfaction are considerable. This book considers the initial Ssteps towards business development, exploiting these opportunities and the rewards they can offer. Advice is given on setting up a translation business, organisational development, what a business plan needs to consider for successful growth, how quality management needs to be approached, managing human resources, customer relations and other topics. The book provides a wealth of ready-made examples of quality procedures, forms that support business management and sources of further information. It also considers an exit strategy and related long-term planning when disposing of the business. Managing Translation Services is based on the many years of experience gained by the author working as a staff translator, freelance translator, university lecturer in translation studies, and former head of an award-winning, ISO 9001 accredited company. As a result, it covers a range of management issues relating to providing professional translation services.
- Author BiographyGeoffrey Samuelsson-Brown is a translator, writer and business adviser with close on 30 years experience in translation and documentation. His translation career started when working as a technical editor at the Volvo Car Corporation in Gothenburg. On returning to England after ten years in Sweden he was responsible as a senior project engineer for technical publications at a research association. He later went freelance, founded Aardvark Translation Services Limited and was its Chairman and Managing Director for many years until he sold the company. He has lectured extensively at the University of Surrey on the practical and technical aspects of translation, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level, and cultural awareness in business for translators. He is known internationally and has given many papers to national and international conferences, as well as being a contributing author to other published works. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Linguists as well as a founding member and Fellow of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting. He is a fluent Swedish speaker and a Member of the Swedish Association of Professional Translators. As part of his continuous personal development he completed a Master of Business Administration degree in 2001 in Strategic Management, Creative Management, International Enterprise and a management research project entitled Skills auditing in small to medium-sized enterprises . His leisure activities include fly-fishing, cooking, keeping fit at the gym, and listening to classical music and jazz.
- Author(s)Geoffrey Samuelsson-Brown
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication14/09/2006
- Series TitleTopics in Translation
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight244 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.