All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA pioneer of British Egyptology, Sir John Gardner Wilkinson (1797-1875) first travelled to Egypt in 1821, the year before Champollion published his breakthrough work on the Rosetta Stone. As public interest in Egypt grew, Wilkinson studied and sketched the country's major archaeological sites, most tably the tombs of Thebes. His Topography of Thebes and General View of Egypt (1835) and Modern Egypt and Thebes (1843) are also reissued in this series. This well-illustrated three-volume work, first published in 1837, remained for over a century a key text on the lives of ancient Egyptians. Writing in a popular genre that was rmally focused on contemporary societies, Wilkinson covers areas ranging from daily life to funerary beliefs. His imaginative approach underpinned the book's considerable success. Volume 3 includes discussion of hunting techniques, decorative arts, the making of papyrus, ship construction, and the building and decoration of monuments.
- Author Biographyfm.author_biographical_note1
- Author(s)John Gardner Wilkinson
- PublisherCambridge Library Collection
- Date of Publication19/09/2013
- Series TitleCambridge Library Collection - Egyptology
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note106 b/w illus. 1 colour illus.
- Weight560 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.