All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll museum activities converge in the public forum of the exhibition - regardless of whether the exhibit is held in the physical museum or is on the Web. Since the first edition of this book in 2002, there has been a world-wide explosion of new galleries and exhibition halls, and new ideas about how exhibitions should look and communicate. The definition of what an exhibition is has changed as exhibitions can w be virtual; n-traditional migratory and pop-up spaces play host to temporary displays; social media has created amazing opportunities for participatory engagement and shifted authority away from experts to the public; and as time-constrained audiences demand more dynamic, interactive, and mobile applications, museum leadership, managers, staff, and designers are rising to these challenges in invative ways. Drawing on years of experience and top-flight expertise, Barry Lord and Maria Piacente detail the exhibition process in a straightforward way that can be easily adapted by institutions of any size. They explore the exhibition development process in greater detail, providing the technical and practical methodologies museum professionals need today. They've added new features and expanded chapters on project management, financial planning and interactive multimedia while retaining the essential content related to interpretive planning, curatorship, and roles and responsibilities. This second edition of the standby Manual of Museum Exhibitions is arranged in four parts: *Why - Covering the purpose of exhibits, where exhibit ideas come from, and how to measure success *Where - Covering facilities and spaces, going into details including security, and interactive spaces *What - A look at both permanent collection displays, and n-collection displays, as well as virtual, participatory, temporary, travelling displays, and retail sales *How - Who is involved, planning, curatorship, and content development, design, multimedia, fabrication and installation, financial planning, and project management Over 130 figures and photographs illustrate every step of the exhibit process. No museum can be without this critical, detailed guide to an essential function.
- Author BiographyBarry Lord, Co-Founder and Co-President of LORD Cultural Resources, is internationally known as one of the world's leading museum planners. Based in Toronto but working globally, Barry brings over fifty years of planning experience in the management and planning of museums, galleries, and historic sites. Barry also co-edited The Manual of Museum Planning (1991, 1999, and 2012); wrote The Manual of Museum Management (1997 and 2009); and edited The Manual of Museum Learning (2007). A former curator, art critic, art historian and museum educator, he has organized and curated many exhibitions and has planned exhibition galleries and facilities for hundreds of museums on four continents. Barry graduated in Philosophy from McMaster University and after graduate work at Harvard University took the National Gallery of Canada Museum Training Program. Maria Piacente, Vice President of Exhibitions and Events at Lord Cultural Resources, specializes in interpretive planning, exhibition development and project management for cultural projects of all sizes, ranging in scope from art to science to history. Grounded in current museological theory, Maria's global experience enables her to incorporate both conceptual and curatorial aspects with leading-edge technological applications, ensuring an exciting and enriching visitor experience within operational realities. Maria holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Archaeology and Near Eastern History and a Master's degree in Museum Studies, both from the University of Toronto.
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication09/04/2014
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Note58 black & white illustrations, 67 black & white halftones
- Weight1130 g
- Width187 mm
- Height258 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edited byBarry Lord,Maria Piacente
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Other
- AU $24.31New
- AU $49.49New
Save on Other
- AU $121.00Trending at AU $127.24
- AU $19.02Trending at AU $21.52
- AU $35.59Trending at AU $68.30
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $51.26
- AU $18.18Trending at AU $21.94
- AU $37.01Trending at AU $41.25
- AU $26.07Trending at AU $28.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.