About this product
- DescriptionThis volume provides a comprehensive working manual for the laboratory testing of soils for civil engineers. It is an essential practical handbook for all who are engaged in laboratory testing of soils as well as being of great value to professional engineers, consultants, academics and students in geotechnical engineering. Revised and updated, the contents reflect current practice in standard laboratory test procedures for determining some of the important engineering properties of soils. The authors have had many years experience in managing large soil testing laboratories since the early 1950s through to the present day, whilst actively contributing to the development of geotechnical testing through training courses, lectures, committees and working groups. They recognise that it is particularly important for test methods to be fully understood and a step-by-step approach has therefore been used in presenting each section. The test procedures comprise the measurement of soil permeability, CBR value, drained and undrained shear strength, and consolidation characteristics. Additional material in this new edition includes the Fall cone procedure for measurement of shear strength in clays based on the European Technical Specification, a simplified direct approach and a useful arrangement for applying pressures in multistage triaxial tests to meet the requirements of BS1377. The latest requirements for calibration of equipment and measuring devices are presented and discussed, together with the significance of quality assurance based on recognised laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025. Descriptions of test methods are complemented by many numerical examples in order to illustrate the methods for recording test data, making calculations, presenting graphical plots and deriving test results. Fundamental principles are explained, where appropriate, so that the operator can have a better understanding of the significance of the tests and guidance is given where experience has shown that difficulties may be encountered. The importance of good techniques, essential checks on test equipment and laboratory safety are all emphasised.
- Author(s)K. H. Head,Roger Epps
- PublisherApple Academic Press Inc.
- Date of Publication29/08/2014
- SubjectCivil Engineering & Environmental Engineering
- Place of PublicationOakville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintApple Academic Press Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight929 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $21.21New
- AU $18.80New
- AU $10.94Used
- AU $24.85New
Women Who Run with Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (Paperback, 1996)
- AU $13.60New
- AU $6.47Used
- AU $19.97New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.81New
- AU $11.56Used
- AU $24.00New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $22.97Trending at AU $26.99
- AU $18.58Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $16.85Trending at AU $18.80
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.06
- AU $79.05Trending at AU $90.48
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.