All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionComparative law and legal anthropology have traditionally restricted themselves to their own fields of inquiry. Mapping Marriage Law in Spanish Gita Communities turns this tendency on its head and investigates what happens when the voices of each discipline are invited to speak to each other. Susan Drummond forges this hybrid form of comparative work through small- and large-scale studies of Gita marriage law as it emerges in a Western European state, in a modern urban centre, and in particular communities and families. Drummond's mapping of Gita marriage law is grounded in ethgraphic fieldwork in Andalucia. The study draws initially from the tradition of comparative law to focus on the emergence of Spanish state family law in a predominantly national and international context. Drummond then adopts the role of legal anthropologist to examine a particular legal culture that exists within, and also beyond, the Spanish state: that of the Gitas and the transnational Roma. Ultimately, she brings the international, national, and cultural dimensions of law into play with one ather and contemplates how all of these influences bear on the spirit of Andalusian Gita marriage law. The result is an ethos of marriage law in a thoroughly mixed legal jurisdiction. Mapping Marriage Law in Spanish Gita Communities will appeal to scholars and students in comparative law and legal anthropology, as well as readers interested in Roma studies in general, and the Gitas in particular.
- Author BiographySusan G. Drummond is an associate professor at Osgoode Hall Law School at York University.
- Author(s)Susan G. Drummond
- PublisherUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2005
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Series TitleLaw and Society
- Place of PublicationVancouver
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of British Columbia Press
- Weight145 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.10Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $28.76Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $50.10Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.